Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Almost Thrift Shop

I stumbled upon 

The House of Curious Treasures 

by accident.

I was out shopping with a friend in Florence, Kentucky when we spotted the large, hand-painted "Thrift Store" sign from the road.  Sometimes, there is nothing better than a sign that gets straight to the point. When we had finished at the thrift store that the sign belonged to, also known as the Burlington Pike Thrift Store, we saw random items strewn across the lawn next door. As you can see from the photo below, it looks like the most eclectic garage sale known to humanity. BUT...if you look closely you will see the yellow and red "HOUSE OF CURIOUS TREASURE" sign in the left hand corner.  Although, it's mostly covered by a Budweiser sign.

Cincinnati Thrift
The exterior of The House of Curious Treasures.


When you enter the vibe is a complete 180  -- the inside is warm and cozy. So cozy in fact, that most of the time you shuffle from side to side.  Luckily, the excellent stock of small framed art, Pop Art lamps, 1940's beaded purses and costume jewelery make up for the lack of space.


CincinnatiThrift.com
I've fallen in love with the warm yellow interior paint and endless black and white framed photos. 
This artwork would be perfect for my imaginary Paris flat.
 I'd sit at my window overlooking le Champs Elysees, and type feverishly while La Vie en Rose played on an endless loop.


CincinnatiThrift.com
I'm crazy about this combination of portraits with rock pillars and colored glass.


CincinnatiThrift.com
There is never cash in my wallet, only a card, so I appreciate a helpful sign such as this,
as to avoid embarrassment.

I refer to this place as "the almost thrift store" because of the wide selection of art, trinkets, dishes, Coka-Cola items, vintage purses, costume jewelry, and the occasional postcard of a Cincinnati child from the 1900s. The prices are comparable to a thrift store and they also buy and trade items.

Be sure to check out the Northern Kentucky Thrift Stores page for more information on The House of Curious Treasures.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I сould have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through a few of the articles I realized it's new to mе.

    Nonеtheless, І'm certainly happy I discovered it and I'll be
    bοοk-marking it and checking back regularlу!


    my web sіtе :: lloyd irvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thіs websіte truly has all the infοrmatiοn аnԁ faсts I wanted about this ѕubјect and didn't know who to ask.

    my page; reputation management

    ReplyDelete