Monday, September 24, 2012

Oh! Darling Vintage

 

Every weekend I learn about a new place to shop for second-hand items.

This time, it was about the adorable vintage shop,

Oh! Darling Vintage

 on the south end of Monmouth in Newport, KY.



This is my first post about a vintage store, so you may be thinking, why vintage? Or you may be a robot who doesn't think, but acts based on a series of 1s and 0s.  Either way, I'm going to tell you my opinion on the matter.

I'm a fan.

You can find vintage items in thrift stores, but often they are scarce and likely in non-pristine condition.
Unlike thrift stores, shops specializing in vintage items are much more particular in their selection of stock.  Oh! Darling is no exception.  In fact, I would say their pickiness is their strength as, like a child in a candy-encrusted jewelry store, I wanted everything I came across.



If you're not already an avid thrifter, vintage shopping can be a nice way of easing into the process of buying second hand. Lately, when I've been chatting with friends about thrifting, they tell me they just don't have the time for it.  I can respect that.  If you know exactly what you're looking for, i.e. a pair of low-rise, straight-leg, mid calf, cherry red cotton pants, you may be searching for a while.

Vintage helps bridge that gap between the massive ocean of worn items and neatly-organized, mass-constructed sweaters in every color and size.

Vintage shops pay attention to current trends and find the original items those trends originally derived from. It's a great place to find accessories that feel modern, yet genuine, in terms of design, materials and construction. 
The shop feels very 50's, 60's and 70's, with muted accessories and bright clothing.

 I rarely find cute, LARGE purses at thrift stores, so I almost hugged this display when I came across it. 
Just another perk of shopping vintage.
 Had I not been chaperoned, I may have taken home every beaded clutch and doctor bag.  Can you blame me?


This display took me back to childhood, with its yellowed storage tins and vintage Butterick sewing patterns.

 Digging the vibe: purple walls and Dinsaur Jr. playing on a burned C.D.

 The widow display reads "His, Hers and Home," a perfectly simple description of what the store offers.
Oh! Darling may be small, but their selection is hand-picked and packed-in without feeling claustrophobic.
Lots of great clothing, shoes, dead-stock, hats, bags, arts, and an obscene amount of vintage match boxes.
Check it out!

Oh! Darling Vintage

937 Monmouth St.

Newport, KY 41071


Tue-Sat noon-6p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment