Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Reasons to Thrift

In college, my good friend's mother was shocked to learn that her daughter enjoyed thrifting.  When this "terrible secret" was revealed, the conversation went something like this:

"Sweety, if you need clothes, I will buy you clothes."  


I think the mother had some horrid vision of her daughter, caught in a thrifting lifestyle, digging through trash in a 1992 maxi floral dress.  I assure you that this was not that case and that she did, in fact, always look fabulous. :)

So for all the naysayers out there, these are my reasons to thrift.  Feel free to comment with your own thoughts!

Real price tag from a recent purchase.

1. Price

 Let's be honest --if that used black pencil skirt was $20, we'd probably just go to TJ Maxx and buy a new one for the same price.






 

2. Charity 

    Many thrift chains (Goodwill, Salvation Army, St. Vincent De Paul) all come from a non-profit organization.  Your small donation generally gets recycled back to impact your community.


My 1960's vintage dress.



3. Uniqueness

    "Oh my gawd, I have that same shirt!" just doesn't happen.  And thank gawd for that. :)








 4. History

     True, every piece of clothing ever made has some sort of history, but frankly, I don't want to know where [insert superstore]'s shirt was made.  It's exciting  to think of what kind of life a piece of clothing or jewelery had before you.

I purchased this locket at a thrift store in my home state of Nebraska.

Inscribed are the initials "HDM."  I like to pretend this person was the Nebraska version of a Jane Austin character, because, why not. :)

5. Entertainment

   If have to admit that thrifting is cheap entertainment for me.  I could go to the movies and spend 25 dollars ($11 per ticket, $3 for parking) or I could drive 5 minutes, shop for 2 hours and take home a five dollar blazer...tough choice.




Cincinnati Thrift





No comments:

Post a Comment