Friday, January 4, 2013

The Cubicle Makeover

I knew I wanted to transform my brown cube

because it looked like this...

Cubicle Makeover: Before 

As you can see, it was very brown. 

Brown walls, brown desk, brown cube walls, brown carpet.

All that fine and dandy for an office setting but

personally, I need color.

 

 

Thrift stores are often a box of puzzle pieces. 

Luckily, I'm a person who enjoys solving problems.

This fun, bright curtain was clearly the answer.

Curtain, $3, Target brand, Goodwill where Beechmont and 275 meet.


 The vertical pattern appealed to me.  
Who doesn't want their space to look taller?




 

Before

 For Christmas, my family gave me a heavy duty sewing machine.

It's sort of magic. However, I am not yet magical at sewing.

 As you can see my cube has panels.
I cut the curtain into four equal pieces and hemmed all the edges.
  I thought this would be an easy project. 
While it wasn't too difficult pinning the hem did take patience, a skill I'm still acquiring.




 After

 

Before                        After

 



Color energies me and lets the creativity flow.

 

The cube walls are a cork-like material.

The ease of attaching anything to the walls was the source of inspiration for this project.
Sliver thumb tacks were used to adhere the fabric and gave it an upholstered look.

Thumb tacks, $2, Michael's


Cubicle Makeover: After www.CincinnatiThrift.com 

 I did visit a fabric store during the search,

and similar prints were 4-10 dollars a yard.

I'm waaaaaaay too thrifty for that. 

While sitting at my desk,  I wanted to feel inspired not think to myself

was it worth the money?




It took about four different thrift stores trips to find the right fabric.  
Of course thrifting is a hobby of mine, so it didn't feel like work.
I suggest making thrift lists so you don't feel like you're finding nothing.

Bonsoir à partir Cincinnati Thrift!

2 comments:

  1. Love the remake Amy! Great job lining up the print too!
    your on the road again Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! A much more cheerful cube.

    ReplyDelete